[obol] Re: Crows. Names, misnomers for...

  • From: Gerard Lillie <gerardlillie@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "tmcmac67@xxxxxxxxx" <tmcmac67@xxxxxxxxx>, OBOL <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 25 Oct 2014 11:15:15 -0700

Here here, indeed.

Gerard Lillie
Portland, OR

Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2014 10:16:20 -0700
Subject: [obol] Crows. Names, misnomers for...
From: tmcmac67@xxxxxxxxx
To: obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

OBOL,

I just returned from giving Tule her morning perambulation in Mt. Tabor park
and found, to my delight, a pile of crows in my front yard and immediate
surrounds. No, no McNamara,  not a "pile" you mean a murder. Yeahyeah
There were upwards of 100 and the majority were giving voice.  I knew of the
murder, the flogged murmuration of starlings, the wisp of teal etc. But as I
was looking at the raucous buggers I was thinking that they reminded me of a
kind of  a hyper-obstreperous version of one Tolkien's  Ent moots.  There was
no raptor about that they were taking to task they just seemed to be yelling.
So if not a moot, then maybe a British Parliament; all that vociferous
yapping---that seemed like an apt analog.  But owls have the collective name
claim for Parliament ostensibly because they are wise and deliberative.
Parliament = wise and deliberative--there's a poser.  Methinks they should sign
over the brand to the crows...full of sound and fury,signifying whoknowswhat.
But it's damn entertaining.
good birding,
Tom