[obol] Coos 'n Curry of Late

  • From: Tim Rodenkirk <timrodenkirk@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2014 18:06:46 -0700

Knute Andersson reports his first PAC-SLOPE FLYS from this past weekend
(4/19 & 4/20), that would be SW of Langlois, Curry.  I haven't heard or
seen any yet in Coos- maybe tomorrow?!

Besides the SWAINSON'S HAWK Terry Wahl reported on Monday (thanks Jeff;
Terry has only had one other before- a very rare south coast migrant with
three records in Coos- maybe the same amount in Curry?), he has also had
several CHIPPING SPARROWS- one yesterday and 4 or 5 today.  This is
normally a species one needs to go to Agness or up Floras Creek (Curry) or
Powers (Coos) to see in their breeding locations, on the outer coast they
are uncommon but regular for about two or three weeks late April/early May
and are normally a "good" find (Terry's place is well, not normal for the
south coast, many more good birds but private ranchlands).

Out on the north spit of Coos Bay at the old Weyco pond site (now owned by
the Port of Coos Bay and open to the public) there has been several
CINNAMON TEAL easily seen from the north dike that goes out to the ocean.
 Also present since Sunday have been a couple BLUE-WINGED TEALS (males).
Green-wingeds are still around out there also, always a good spot for late
ducks. Many calling SORA and AMERICAN BITTERN there also.

The GOLDEN-CROWNED SPARROWS are migrating everywhere, always cool to see
them in their spiffy breeding plumage.

Oh, the Black Vulture reported by Jeff G. was seen on 12 April, but since
no one could relocate it, and since I suspect OBRC will never see a written
record, I am not sure we have our firsrt Black Vulture record for OR.

Merry migration!
Tim R
Coos Bay