[obol] Coos n' Curry of Late

  • From: Tim Rodenkirk <garbledmodwit@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: OBOL <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 17 Feb 2014 16:02:18 -0800 (PST)

Just back from a walk out to the beach on the north spit of Coos Bay.  I did
not do any ocean scoping, and it would have been difficult with the wind,
spray, low clouds and such just off the beach, but we did walk down beach about
1/2 mile.  It was high tide and there was a lot of foam blowing everywhere on
the beach, pretty cool.  I saw about 150 gulls flying south along the beach, I
would estimate 90% Cals and about 90% of those being adults. Also saw a few
Herring and Glaucous-winged, no Westerns, and one 1st-cycle looking GLAUCOUS
GULL. It had a sharply demarcated pink/black bill, very white tail and body,
with that faint brown pattern look they have.  It was flying with four
Glaucous-wingeds and looked larger and longer winged also. Lots of those very
faded looking 1st cycle Glaucous-wingeds around now also.

Earlier in the day I talked to Terry Wahl.  He mentioned that the SAY'S PHOEBE
and N. SHRIKE are still present on the family ranch near Cape Blanco, Curry.
He also mentioned that Rick McKenzie saw a SANDHILL CRANE flying south on the
Curry side of the ranch near Langlois today (2/17). There had been a lone
Sandhill there from last June through early December, but it hasn't been seen
in a couple months so this could be a different bird.  Terry also said he has
not seen any swallows since early January. On 12/31 he had a Tree Swallow at
the family ranch. The next day he saw another Tree Swallow and 4 Barns, but
nothing since. Typically the first Tree Swallows show up in Coos in the
Coquille Valley the first week or so of February (as they did this year), but
do not show up on the outer coast until 4 to 6 weeks later.

KnuteAndersson had his first RUFOUS HUMMER at his feeders, yesterday. He is
just SW of Langlois, Curry.  He said he usually sees Rufous first for a while,
then nothing but Allen's (or hybrids?).

On Saturday the 15th Eric Clough and I were down checking out the flooding
around Coquille.  The CLAY-COLORED SPARROW was still around in Norway but we
had no luck with the Coquille Brown Thrasher.

Yesterday, the 16th, I counted 250 BRANT in the Empire area of Coos Bay.

That's all I can remember for now,
Happy Birding!
Tim R
Coos Bay