[obol] Cooper's Hawks hunting collaboratively?

  • From: "woodenapple@xxxxxxxx" <woodenapple@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2014 22:52:48 GMT

A couple of days ago in our N. Eugene/Santa Clara-area backyard, I observed an
adult male Cooper's Hawk take a halfhearted pass at our bird feeder, scattering
the attending small birds into cover, and then land nearby in full view in the
lower branches of a tree. He then flew to the ground and hopped around,  poking
into all the cover the small birds had utilized. I thought to myself,  "This
can't be a very efficient hunting tactic. If the small birds flush out the
backside, he'll never get up to speed in time!"

Then I saw the OTHER Cooper's Hawk, a female, perched higher up nearby. It
appeared he was attempting to flush the hidden birds not for him to pursue but
for her!  I observed him again today using the same tactic. This time I didn't
see her, but there are several suitable perches out of line of sight. (Note:
male/female determination based on size and size difference. )

Are Cooper's Hawks known to hunt collaboratively, especially within an apparent
pair?

Rudi