[obol] Cooper Mtn. Nature Park (Washington Co.) migtants/arrivals -- Sunday 20 April

  • From: David Irons <llsdirons@xxxxxxx>
  • To: OBOL Oregon Birders Online <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 20 Apr 2014 22:15:56 +0000

Shawneen and I spent about three hours at Cooper Mountain Nature Park sw. of
Beaverton today. We picked up a number of year birds, including a single male
MacGillivray's Warbler, 2-3 Pacific-slope Flycatchers, 2 Hammond's Flycatchers
and a House Wren. We also had 30 Orange-crowned Warblers, 6 Black-throated
Grays, a couple of Townsend's and a nice variety of expected birds. I think we
ended up with nearly 45 species for the morning. We were a bit surprised to not
find Nashville or Wilson's Warblers and we did not hear or see Chipping
Sparrow, which is usually not too hard to find there.

On the way home we checked Koll Wetlands, which had a few shorebirds, including
5 Greater Yellowlegs, 40+ Least Sandpipers, and 15 Long-billed Dowitchers. The
water level is low right now with a lot of exposed mud. Ducks are few, but we
did have 26 Green-winged Teal. We did not see the Common Teal that wintered
here.

Dave Irons
Portland, OR