[obol] Cedar Waxwing Bonanza

  • From: Jack Williamson <jack.williamson.jr@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: OBOL Oregon Birders Online <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2014 19:57:32 -0700

Since reading Paul Lehman's commentary in the March-April edition of
Birding titled *Active Field Birders, the Process of Exploring, and the
Importance of Status and Distribution
<http://aba.org/birding/2014-MAR-APR/Lehman.pdf>*, I've been telling myself
to get out and find new areas to explore near my home in West Linn.

This post is about birds found in and around the (not often reported on)
cove near the confluence of the Clackamas and Willamette Rivers located on
the east side of Highway 99E near Clackamette Park in Oregon City. While I
was there, I was treated to close views of a flock of approximately 30
Cedar Waxwing that were foraging on berries, seemingly without the
slightest concern about the people watching them from just a few feet away.
The difference in plumages between individuals in this flock was
remarkable.

Most of the people I talked with said that they rarely see ducks, geese, or
other waterfowl in the cove during any season. I was told that if I wanted
to see ducks, I should go to the boat ramp in Clackamette Park where people
feed them. Nevertheless, I think this cove may be worth keeping an eye on,
especially during periods of really bad weather.
http://www.jack-n-jill.net/blog/2014/10/cedar-waxwing-bonanza
--
Jack Williamson
West Linn, Oregon