[obol] Surf Scoter Klamath Co

  • From: Kevin Spencer <rriparia@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "klamathbasinbirdnews: googlegroups.com" <klamathbasinbirdnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Oregon Birders Online <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2014 23:11:38 -0400 (EDT)

On my way back from Medford today, stopped by Fourmile Lake. The only bird on the lake that I could see turned out to be a SURF SCOTER, a probable female adult. It was seen from the Day Use Area to the right as you arrive at the lake. The bird was closer to the far shore, maybe in a mostly north direction, and diving. Varied Thrush present, and interestingly, a RED-SHOULDERED HAWK was heard calling numerous times. There seems to be a pattern of encountering this species in the mountains in the fall.

Lake of the Woods had very little bird activity while I was at that location.

Kevin Spencer
rriparia@xxxxxxxxxxx
Klamath Falls, OR