[obol] Re: Canada Goose in osprey nest.

  • From: Marlowe Kissinger <rosebudgurl@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "atowhee@xxxxxxxxx" <atowhee@xxxxxxxxx>, obol <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 13 Apr 2014 08:49:44 -0700

I never knew that till I saw it about a week ago in Grants Pass. Out at the
Robertson Bridge there are two Osprey nests. I asked Dennis Vroman about it and
he said last year when the Osprey came back the goose was in their nest so they
built a new nest on the other side of the bridge. I tell you I learn something
new everyday.

     Marlowe

Picture of the goose last week.

http://i751.photobucket.com/albums/xx156/rosebudgurl/gosenest7_zpse3df7577.jpg

Date: Sun, 13 Apr 2014 08:36:06 -0700
Subject: [obol] Re: Canada Goose in osprey nest.
From: atowhee@xxxxxxxxx
To: lantz503@xxxxxxxxx
CC: obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Canada geese like high perches for nesting.  At Malheur they nest on the top of
cliff faces, sometimes sixty feet high or more.  When researching my book for
birding along I-5 I kept a non-scientific count and believe over half the nest
platforms visible along the route are used annually by nesting Canada Geese.
BTW near the platform you cite, the Osprey are nesting this year on an
long-used nest atop the railroad trestle that is parallel I-5 and just to the
west of it,.  They don't migrate so they often get to the nest platform before
Osprey return...and nobody wants to mess with an angry, aggressive Canada
Goose, easier to go elsewhere.

On Sun, Apr 13, 2014 at 8:29 AM, David Lantz <lantz503@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

When in Roseburg the other day along the Umpqua River there was a Canada Goose
in an osprey nest about 40 feet of the ground.   Was the bird just relaxing or
might that actually nest that high of the ground?

David

--
Harry Fullerauthor of FREEWAY BIRDING, see: freewaybirding.com

Atowhee@gmail
http://www.towhee.net
my birding blog: atowhee.wordpress.com