[obol] Re: Canada Goose in osprey nest.

  • From: Harry Fuller <atowhee@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lantz503@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 13 Apr 2014 08:36:06 -0700

Canada geese like high perches for nesting.  At Malheur they nest on the
top of cliff faces, sometimes sixty feet high or more.  When researching my
book for birding along I-5 I kept a non-scientific count and believe over
half the nest platforms visible along the route are used annually by
nesting Canada Geese.  BTW near the platform you cite, the Osprey are
nesting this year on an long-used nest atop the railroad trestle that is
parallel I-5 and just to the west of it,.  They don't migrate so they often
get to the nest platform before Osprey return...and nobody wants to mess
with an angry, aggressive Canada Goose, easier to go elsewhere.

--
Harry Fuller
author of FREEWAY BIRDING, see: *freewaybirding.com