[obol] Big White-fronted Goose migration at Winchester Bay, Sept. 29

  • From: "Wayne Weber" <contopus@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "OBOL2" <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 3 Oct 2014 23:32:14 -0700

Oregon Birders,

A late afternoon visit to Winchester Bay (Douglas Co.) on September 29
produced a big southward movement of Greater White-fronted Geese. When I
arrived, I could see what looked like big flocks of geese milling around to
the north of the Salmon Harbor marina. As I rushed down to the north end of
the marina, flock after flock of White-fronts passed overhead, heading
directly south, and honking loudly. My best estimate was about 1200 birds
that passed over in less than 5 minutes. This more or less coincided with
large movements of this species in the Willamette Valley.

The only other geese I saw at Winchester Bay were 8 birds which were clearly
(by size and calls) Canada Geese rather than Cackling Geese. However, on the
morning of September 30 at the mouth of the Siuslaw River near Florence, I
did see two small flocks of migrating Cackling Geese totalling about 40
birds.

So it seems that fall is definitely upon us!!

Wayne C. Weber

Delta, BC

contopus@xxxxxxxxx