[obol] A few south coast birds

  • From: Tim Rodenkirk <timrodenkirk@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 4 Oct 2014 03:37:27 -0700

On Thursday, while working on the south end of the north spit in Coos Bay,
I had a fly-over calling Lesser Goldfinch and also briefly heard a Weestern
Scrub-jay, two birds I don't often hear along the outer coast in Coos Bay.

On Friday, someone turned the heat up and the insects were out early, Knute
Andersson has a RED-BREASTED SAPSUCKER flycatching at his place SW of
Langlois in Curry.  In Coos the gull wad continues- there were about 1,000
mostly CA Gulls on the beach at the the north spit, another 500 or so in
the old Weyco aeration pond, and a couple thousand in the bay early PM
(about 2/3rds HY).  Also out on the old aeration pond were a couple hundred
ducks, 6 of which were BLUE-WINGED TEAL. On the sand flat across the bay
from the BLM boat ramp there were about 50 Brown Pelican parked and another
50 feeding nearby.  Joining them were at least 40 Elegant Terns.  Also
there were 13 Marbled Godwits.

Another 80+ degree day- what a year!

Merry migration,
Tim R