[obol] Elegant Terns at Bandon and Winchester Bay, Sept. 28 and 30

  • From: "Wayne Weber" <contopus@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "OBOL2" <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 3 Oct 2014 23:21:05 -0700

Oregon Birders,

Not all the Elegant Terns have left Oregon yet, despite my wisecracks at the
OBA meeting that they were about to "re-tern" to California. On September
28th, the OBA meeting field trip led by Tim Rodenkirk and Harv Schubothe, in
which I participated, found only about 5 Elegant Terns in Bandon. However,
when I revisited the area of the boat harbor that afternoon, there were at
least 30 Elegant Terns actively feeding in the area.

Two days later, at Winchester Bay in Douglas County, there were at least 52
Elegant Terns perched on pilings at the end of the fishing pier west of the
Salmon Harbor marina, and I got some good close-up photos of them.

The same day (September 30), I tried and failed to find some Elegant Terns
near Florence, at the crab dock and the Siuslaw River mouth. I did see 2
Common Terns and 3 Caspian Terns there, however. But I guess I will have to
wait for a future year to add Elegant Tern to my Lane County list...... oh,
well!

Wayne C. Weber

Delta, BC

contopus@xxxxxxxxx