[obol] Ankeny Western Kingbird - Marion County

  • From: "Jeff Harding" <jeffharding@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <birding@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 12 Apr 2014 16:16:22 -0700

Marty Cunningham and I found a WESTERN KINGBIRD at Pintail Marsh, Ankeny NWR
this afternoon. It was flycatching actively from the hedgerow along the west
side of the marsh, close to Wintel Road. There was also a HORNED GREBE,
transitioning into breeding plumage, and a SNOW GOOSE, possibly the one seen
the other day by Herlyn, Harper, Hinkle, Hinkle and Contreras the other day.
That bird was across the railroad tracks in the field by the willow tree
pull-out. There were a few (at least two) CHIPPING SPARROWS at the Pintail
Pullout, and the trees were full of Yellow-rumped Warblers both Myrtle and
Audubon's in bright plumage. We only detected one or two ORANGE-CROWNED
WARBLERS, though. The swallows included at least one each of the CLIFF and
BARN, several of the NORTHERN ROUGH-WINGED and gobs of TREE and
VIOLET-GREEN.

Good birding,

Jeff