[obol] Acorn Woodpecker, Ft Vancouver WA

  • From: Ray <rkorpi@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: obol <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 19 Oct 2014 09:17:17 -0700

Hi all,
I realize this is a WA sighting, but many folks have come across the river to
see birds before.  Thursday, Cindy McCormick found an ACORN WOODPECKER at Ft
Vancouver, west of the visitors center.  Thursday, per Tweeters, two were seen.
 I finally got there yesterday afternoon, after driving by three times before I
knew the birds were there.  I worked with Les Carlson and Ken Knittle to find
one of the birds, which we had adequate looks at.

One of the birds was first found in a large oak just south of the gazebo which
is essentially across from the Grant House Restaurant on Officers Row.  When we
found the bird yesterday, it was SW of that area, in a large group of oaks
south of the row of barracks, as Ken noted, about 200 feet east of McMillian
and Ft Vancouver Way.  The bird was relatively quiet.  I heard it once, that
sent us in that direction, and then it called again. It stayed very high in the
oak and very quiet until right before it flew, when it proceeded east along the
row of barracks and made a 90-degree left turn back toward the big gazebo oak

As you may know, Acorns are only generally found in WA in the Lyell area.  Many
of those with large Clark Co. lists are adding this bird.  I'll try to get down
there at some point Tuesday to take a peek and see if it is around
RK

Ray Korpi

rkorpi@xxxxxxxxxxx

Vancouver WA