[obol] Rentenaar Road yesterday

  • From: "WLRisser" <wlrisser@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 19 Oct 2014 10:43:48 -0700

Yesterday must have been a non-goose hunting day on Rentenaar Road on Sauvie
Island near Portland.   We drove to the end of R. Road and climbed the dike.
We estimated 3000 cackling and Canada geese feeding (mostly cackling geese).
We sat there for about two hours and more and more geese came in. We
estimated 6000-7000 by the time that we left.  It was a wonderful show.

Some of the cackling geese had yellow neckbands, and we got some numbers.
Can anyone who reads this help us know what to look for on the bands and
whom to contact with the information?

Several times harriers passed low over the flock, and once a peregrine did
so, and the geese ignored both.

When we arrived, an immature northern shrike (brown version) was feeding
from the big woodpile below the dike to the right, and it slowly made its
way down the row of woodpiles further to the right , until it disappeared.

Jan and Will Risser, Portland