[oagitm] Re: Cell Phone Policy / Issuance / Use / Stipend

  • From: "McSPADEN Sean L * EISPD ADMIN" <sean.l.mcspaden@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <JCLINE@xxxxxxxx>, <oagitm@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2011 09:48:39 -0800

Jody:

Within state government, there are three related policies that set
expectations for the use of cell phones across the executive branch of
state government.  They are included in the Exhibits section below.
There is some redundancy in the documents in that they each promote an
employee  signature/acknowledgement of the same Acceptable Use Agreement
(see below).

Our informal advice to agencies has been to have employees sign the
Agreement when they review the Acceptable Use Policy (the foundation
policy) at the time of the annual review (or new employees, new agency,
new job, etc.); then get an updated signature only if applicable (issued
a cell phone and driving a vehicle for state business). That said, each
agency is responsible for administering the policy and/or may take the
step of creating their own more restrictive cell phone policies.

----------------------

EXHIBITS

DAS Statewide Policy - Acceptable Use of State Information Assets -
NUMBER: 107- 004-110
<http://oregon.gov/DAS/OP/docs/policy/state/107-004-110.pdf>

DAS Statewide Policy - Internal Controls for the Management of Mobile
Communications Devices - NUMBER: 107- 001-015
<http://oregon.gov/DAS/OP/docs/policy/state/107-001-015.pdf>

DAS Statewide Policy - Mobile Communication Device Usage While Driving -
NUMBER: 107-001-016
<http://oregon.gov/DAS/OP/docs/policy/state/107-001-016.pdf>

Attachment to all three policies:

Acceptable Use Agreement

I, _______________________________________acknowledge I am being granted
use of state information assets in order to carry out my work and agree
that my use of such assets will be conducted in a manner that ensures
compliance with this Policy, Policy 107-01-010, and Policy 107-001-015,
Oregon Accounting Manual Policy 40.10.00 PO and by Statewide Policy
107-001-016, Mobile Communication Device Usage While Driving.

I agree that any personal use of any provided Mobile Communication
Device, will be identified on a monthly basis, and reimbursed to the
agency through Payroll Deductions. I further understand that any
personal use is also subject to taxation of the user.

I understand my usage will be monitored, without further warning, and
that inappropriate usage may be cause for disciplinary action, including
but not limited to reprimand, suspension, and termination of employment
or Civil or criminal prosecution under federal and state law.

I understand that I must use a hands-free accessory when driving a motor
vehicle while using a Mobile Communication Device, except where
exclusions apply. Any traffic violations or payment of fines imposed for
violation of any applicable laws are my personal responsibility.

I understand that the use of state information assets may be revoked at
any time without further warning.

I acknowledge, I have read and understood this document by signing
below. I further understand it is my responsibility to seek advice
regarding any questions I might have regarding this document or policy
prior to my signing.

-------------------

The "Stipend" issue noted in the subject line of the e-mail  is covered
in the second paragraph of the Acceptable Use Agreement.  It says, "I
agree that any personal use of any provided Mobile Communication Device,
will be identified on a monthly basis, and reimbursed to the agency
through Payroll Deductions. I further understand that any personal use
is also subject to taxation of the user."  In practice managing these
charges is very difficult.  Most agencies simply preclude the personal
use of a state cell phone and avoid the complexity and overhead of
charge-backs.

There are other examples of how agencies separate business versus
personal use.  I will not attempt to address that issue here.  We would
need more information on what is being sought regarding "Stipend" before
trying to provide a more definitive answer.

We hope this information helps.

Regards

Sean

Sean McSpaden

Oregon Deputy State Chief Information Officer

503-378-5257 (w)

503-798-1507 (c)

Sean.L.McSpaden@xxxxxxxxxxx

Data Classification: Level 1 - Published