Re: [nvda-translations] passing NVDA translation to crowding

  • From: James Teh <jamie@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: nvda-translations@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 16 Feb 2016 08:58:14 +1000

Hi.
There are a few of these platforms now. I did discuss moving to one of these with Mesar some time ago, but my understanding is that quite a few users prefer the current approach. There are also a few other reasons that switching isn't really feasible or justifiable at this point:
1. The system also has to handle the User Guide, What's New, character descriptions and symbols, which aren't and cannot be po files.
2. The current system automates a lot of error checking which notifies translators about broken translations and prevents them from being merged into NVDA. This would likely be difficult (if not impossible) to integrate into an external system.
3. We actually wouldn't want changes to be synchronised to NVDA immediately, as that would cause a lot of very small commits to the NVDA repository, which in turn results in a lot of clutter.
4. There is a huge amount of effort involved in any switch like this. As noted above, it's not just a matter of synchronising po files, so there would be a lot of code to write, testing to do, etc. There would be a huge amount of effort required for translators to become familiar with a new system too.

I'm not sure what you mean about accessibility. TortoiseSVN is accessible and the rest of the translation workflow is primarily email. One only needs to go to the Assembla site to accept one's invitation, and even then, I'm not aware of any glaring accessibility issues.

All of this said, we'll certainly endeavour to watch for and look into various solutions to ensure we have the best possible translation workflow.

Jamie

On 15/02/2016 6:52 PM, Slann Tonić wrote:

hi all,
i’ve found another platform in which we can put our translations for NVDA. it’s called crowdin.
crowding is a platform for storing translation projects for all kinds of software, such as windows software and apps for android. many of the apps we commonly use in android are translated using crowding. in this platform, changes are automatically sinchronized and developers can use them immediately. furthermore, poedith, the program we use for translating NVDA’s interface, works with that platform, so the changes we make when sinchronizing our crowding account with po edit take place in the website in real time. so no need for extra tools like subversion SVN or things like that.
in addition, crowding is much more accessible with screen reading technologies. so, is there any possibility that NV access moves translation of NVDA from assembla to crowding?
for more info about crowding, go to crowdin's official site. <http://www.crowdin.com>
regards,
slann

--