Re: [nvda-translations] Use of Multi Meaningful words: A headache to translator!

  • From: "Joseph Lee" <joseph.lee22590@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <nvda-translations@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 8 Sep 2012 23:04:41 -0700

Hi,
Another option (which was put forth by Korean users) is to leave on/off
messages alone like:
* Numlock %s: Numlock on/off.
* Speak typed characters %s: Speak typed characters on/off.
There are entries for the words "on" and "off" which are used in many contexts,
so it was suggested by Korean users to leave these words as English for now.
As for introducing specific translatable strings, I think this could delay the
translation time, as more messages would need to be translated. For this
reason, I'd like to recommend that other translators read the translation
reference string and automatic translator comments while translating, as these
provide contexts, thereby aiding with speedier translations. Also, I'd suggest
periodically save your translated file and test it while using NVDA, as it
could help you spot errors and come up with better translation messages.
Thanks.
Cheers,
Joseph