Re: [nvda-translations] Translation table

  • From: Mesar Hameed <mesar.hameed@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: nvda-translations@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2012 12:13:22 +0000

Hi Dinakar,

On Tue 31/01/12,15:59, DINAKAR T.D. wrote:
> There are many Braille languages displayed in the 'Translation
> Table' in the "Braille Settings" dialog. What do these mean?

Because braille has a limited number of dots in a cell, this means that
a diffrent braille table is needed for each language, to encode the
correct information. For example the dot 1 on its own in english stands
for the letter a, but for arabic it is for alef.
The latin based languages define most of the letters to be the same,
a-z, but they are not the same for numbers and signs.
So the table is a mapping of leter/symbol to braille dots.

> Can Tamil be added to this list?

I looked at the liblouis project, and yes, it has a tamil table t.ctb,
which was added in September 2010.
Do you know anyone who has a braille display that can check if the table
is correct/if symbols are missing?
If you wanted to check it without a display it is also possible, but
it might be a bit of work for you.

Mesar