Re: [nvda-translations] Translation table

  • From: "DINAKAR T.D." <td.dinkar@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: nvda-translations@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 02 Feb 2012 12:06:09 +0530

Thank you Mesar.

On 02/02/2012 04:21 AM, Mesar Hameed wrote:
Hi Dinakar,
On Tue 31/01/12,20:26, DINAKAR T.D. wrote:
The Tamil Nadu state Government has recently opened an exclusivve Braille
Section for the blind in its library in the city
of Chennai and I understand that Braille displays are also placed. But I am not
aware of the make of these displays and who
are all using them.  I shall try to find out.
This is good news. If we know the make and model number, we can tell if NVDA
supports them directly which would be very easy
to setup, or via BRLTTY which is a little harder.

It would be great if they can use NVDA and save money on expensive licenses,
and donate so that NVAccess can continue this
great project. You should remind them that all future NVDA releases will always
be free for the users.

I also know the Braille dots for all the Tamil characters and punctuations.  In
case of any doubt, I can also get it
clarified from my friends here. Will this be OK?
Yes this will be fine, I will email you privately with the table and
instructions on how you can check if they are correct.

Further clarification please.
1. I have already translated Braille abbreviations such as 'chk', 'cbo',
'btn', etc., in the po file. What will be the effect of these
translation in the absence of Tamil in the "Translation Table"?
If there is no tamil braille table, and the translation of 'btn' 'cbo' etc use
tamil letters then they will also not be
readable using a braille display. They will also not be readable if they are
using a diffrent language braille table, but is
using the tamil interface.

2. Whether NVDA will support Tamil Braille in the various displays only
if Tamil is included in the "Translation Table"?
Supporting different displays is not the same as supporting tamil braille.

If nvda supports the display, then nvda can communicate with the display this
is on the hardware level and does not depend on
the user language.

Then to support Tamil text, we need to have the correct table, which will tell
nvda how to translate from the letter to the
correct dots. This means if I have a working display, and i want to read Arabic
text, I have to switch to the arabic table,
then when I want to read tamil text I have to switch to the Tamil table. Most
tables include english by default, so there is
no need to switch table when it is a mix between tamil and english text.

Hope this clarrifies matters.

Thanks,

Mesar