[numcog] More research...

  • From: Anna Wilson <ajwilson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <numcog@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 20 Apr 2003 18:01:53 -0800

Hello everyone -

Happy Easter to those who are celebrating it!  I realized that in my sleep
deprived state I didn't really say *what* I'm actually working on in
numerical cognition... at the moment I'm finishing up my dissertation on the
role of spatial and verbal working memory in "core" numerical tasks such as
addition and estimation (and comparison, although these results have been
rather hard to interpret).  I've been running a series of dual-task
experiments, in which I have subjects perform numerical tasks while
maintaining a working memory load which is either spatial or verbal.

So far it looks like I have a double dissociation between the two types of
working memory and how they interfere with the numerical tasks - such that
spatial working memory appears to interfere more with approximation and
verbal working memory appears to interfere more with addition.  Nothing
appears to interfere with comparison (read: large number of experiments run
with frustrating series of null results!).  There are a few squirrelly
aspects to the data though, so I'm going to be running a within subjects
replication this summer (after graduation :-), fingers crossed it will work
out.

Once I'm done here in August, I'm going to be heading over to Paris to work
with Stan Dehaene, on a project designing and testing rehabilitation
software for kids with dyscalculia.  (This is one of my other main research
interests, on which I've written a review paper - it's still undergoing some
edits, but when I've got a new draft, I'll be sure to send it out to the
list for any comments!).  [...hum, maybe we should add this to the list
objectives...]

Oh, and if any of you didn't have a copy of my CNS poster of the working
memory and numerical cognition research, and would like one you can find one
here:
http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/~ajwilson/posters/
(there is also a copy of an earlier poster I presented at CSAIL last summer,
part of the same series of experiments).

Anna ~*

A digest version is available, to sign up login to your account at
//www.freelists.org/login.html, and see instructions in the FAQ or
welcome files.

For other administrative queries, email Anna:
ajwilson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx