[numcog] Questions...

  • From: Anna Wilson <ajwilson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <numcog@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 20 Apr 2003 18:26:16 -0800

I am going to be responsible for two posts to the list today!  I thought we
ought to get some discussion going on what people have posted so far, so
have put a couple of "discussion questions" for people below...

1) Tony wrote:
>I have been developing a theory for a while now which
>presents the view that the basic components of human numerical
>cognition arise from the co-opting of more domain general
>visuospatial and object cognition abilities into the construction of
>domain specific numerical abilities.
Tony, to what extent do you think this co-opting occurs?  Of course, it is
also argued that there is an innate domain-specific numerical cognition
ability... do you think that this could also be the case, but that it might
be only responsible for some aspects of processing, and that domain general
co-opting could be responsible for the remaining processing?  Or are you
arguing that all of numerical cognition is founded on domain general
abilities?  (At the risk of starting a controversial debate here!!)

2) Ed wrote:
>Based on the different stages of numerical processing in the triple-code
>model, we proposed that these "higher" synesthetes perhaps had
>cross-activation in the HIPS/angular gyrus region, instead of in the
>fusiform region we had proposed for the "lower" synesthetes that we tested
>first,
 Ed, have you done any experiments to try and test this hypothesis directly?
I'm not quite sure how it could be done, but for instance, what about
looking at concurrent activation of adjacent areas in these patients in an
event related fMRI design - it would be neat if it could be shown that the
"higher" synesthetes show a bigger correlation between HIPS/spatial area
activation, whereas the "lower" synesthetes show a bigger correlation
between fusiform/color areas.  This might be hard though... I guess one
would have to functionally identify all the areas involved.

OK, back to the dissertation grind...

Anna ~*

A digest version is available, to sign up login to your account at
//www.freelists.org/login.html, and see instructions in the FAQ or
welcome files.

For other administrative queries, email Anna:
ajwilson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx