[numcog] Greetings

  • From: "Tony J. Simon Ph.D." <tjsimon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: numcog@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2003 07:01:51 -0400

Welcome All:
as another of the co-conspirators who dreamed up this list idea, I
thought I should follow Anna's lead and introduce myself as well. I
am Tony Simon. I am a member of the faculty of the University of
Pennsylvania Medical School and I am engaged in research at
Children's Hospital of Philadelphia. Originally trained as a
developmental psychologist and then computational cognitive
scientist, I have been developing a theory for a while now which
presents the view that the basic components of human numerical
cognition arise from the co-opting of more domain general
visuospatial and object cognition abilities into the construction of
domain specific numerical abilities. To that end I am now applying
most of my work to the study of children with neurogenetic disorders
that produce visuospatial and numerical cognitive deficits. I hope,
eventualy, to be able to develop cognitive interventions that might
reduce those learning disabilities. I hope we can use this list to
share our ideas about determining the workings of numerical cognition
in the human mind and brain and for pooling ideas about solving the
many complex problems of doing cognitive neuroscience research
(especially neuroimaging) with typically developing children as well
as with those who have disorders affecting their cognitive function.
Let's get busy!
--Tony Simon
        Tony J. Simon Ph.D.  - Research Asst. Prof. Pediatrics, U. Penn.
Children's Hospital of Philadelphia             Tel: 215 590 7198
3535 Market St., Rm 1425                        Fax: 267 426 5260
Philadelphia, PA 19104                  Email: tjsimon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
                http://tjsimon.home.mindspring.com/tjs-prof.html

A digest version is available, to sign up login to your account at
//www.freelists.org/login.html, and see instructions in the FAQ or
welcome files.

For other administrative queries, email Anna:
ajwilson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx