[ntnm] comment on news papers and magazine"improvements"

  • From: Tom Reid <tom.reid21@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ntnm@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 15 May 2014 17:22:02 +0100

the recent changes to the newspaper and mag services have been an
almost total mess. It's now a service where an attempt at cheaper
automation has sacrificed it's customers and, according to someone on
another list, has involved staff redundancies. Instead of a system
which was well-structured an easy to follow, we now have, at least in
the newspapers, a virtually unstructured mess. Instead of sections, we
have masses of repetitions, news..., news... news... for instance.
Arguments about sharing pages with sighted people are spurious. We can
hardly find stuff ourselves. Where there is some manual intervention,
as in new scientist, things are better. This shows how staff reduction
has failed. I read papers and mags for fun and this is too much like
hard work. I personally used to use Speakon which was beautifully
organised and allowed for powerful searching and organising of
material, now... I'm seriously considering not re-subscribing, not for
the money, but, because rnib has treated its so-called customers with
such disregard. They say they are listening. lets hope so. tom