[northwest_al] Re: Additional Incentives to Move.

  • From: DJames1040@xxxxxxx
  • To: northwest_al@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 21 May 2003 17:41:07 EDT

Most of my Father's family came from NW Alabama, eventually moving into
Tennessee, and other states to the north, south, and west.  Some of my
Mother's family also lived on the in NW Alabama, moving back and forth from
Alabama to Tennessee. They repeated this several times.

From what I know of the areas in which these families lived, the reason for
most of them moving were 1) gold mines in California  2) land opening in the
west  and 3) the decimation of the land and resources by the War Between the
States.  One of my ancestors families had 2 sons working in the fields who
were conscripted into the Southern forces. The next day 3 brothers joined the
Union forces.  Only 1 of those 5 sons returned home after the war.  I don't
know the how to describe the conditions that existed during that time. But, I
do know that this area of Alabama experienced havoc during this time.