NEWS> CSUMC Newsletter

  • From: Gleason Sackmann <gleason@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: NetHappenings <nethappenings@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 09 Apr 2003 09:00:00 -0500

Net Happenings - From Educational CyberPlayGround

Welcome to the first edition of the Center for the Study of Upper
Midwestern Cultures electronic newsletter. This twice-yearly e-publication
is aimed at highlighting current projects involving the languages and
cultural traditions of this region's diverse peoples.

The Center for the Study of Upper Midwestern Cultures (CSUMC  pronounced
suh-SUM-see for short) fosters research and the preservation of archival
collections, while producing educational and outreach programs for a broad
public audience. We also assist community groups, classrooms, and
independent scholars with projects involving Upper Midwestern cultures.

To view the newsletter: http://csumc.wisc.edu/newsletter/ilpp.htm

This publication highlights several efforts underway in Wisconsin to keep
our ethnic and cultural heritages alive. In this issue read about:

- Efforts to preserve and revitalize the language of the Menominee Nation
- The treasure-trove of sound recordings and manuscripts at the Wisconsin Music
Archives
- Folklorist Jim Leary's view of Wisconsin as "A Center of the World"
- How you can enjoy traditional music field recordings on compact disc
- A new book, coming out soon, features Lac du Flambeau elders telling their
stories
- An effort to conserve past cultural fieldwork and make it more accessible
- An opportunity to earn college credit by studying Wisconsin art history in
West Bend
- A yearlong classroom project that introduces fourth and fifth graders to
Hmong culture
- The latest edition of the Dictionary of American Regional English

This inaugural edition is free to all with an interest in Upper Midwestern
cultures. We hope you will consider joining our Friends Organization.
Friends are dues-paying members whose contributions help pay for projects
ranging from folklore fieldwork to the conservation of archival collections
and production of cultural events. To join the organization, fill out the
membership application online and mail it back to

CSUMC, 901 University Bay Dr.,
Madison, WI 53705.

For more information, contact
Ruth Olson at 262-8180 or reolson3@xxxxxxxxx

"DOMINO" - MULTI - CULTURAL RESOURCE - Book and Cassette
Traditional Children's Songs, Proverbs, and Culture From the U.S.V.I.
60 Traditional Children's Songs, Games, Proverbs
45 minute Live Sound Field Recording from the American Virgin Islands
Cross Curricular, Interdisciplinary, BLACK HISTORY MONTH
http://www.edu-cyberpg.com/GuavaberryBooks/Domino/_DOMINO_.html

For questions about the newsletter, please contact Nicki Saylor at 262-7546
or nasaylor@xxxxxxxxx

Ruth Olson
Associate Director
Center for the Study of Upper Midwestern Cultures
901 University Bay Drive
Madison, WI 53705
http://csumc.wisc.edu/
TEL: 608/262-8180
FAX: 608/265-4640
reolson3@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

<>~~~~~<>~~~~~<>~~~~~<>~~~~~<>~~~~~<>~~~~~<>~~~~~<>~~~~~<>~~~~~<>
EDUCATIONAL CYBERPLAYGROUND
http://www.edu-cyberpg.com
Net Happenings,K12 Newsletters, Network Newsletters, New-list
http://www.edu-cyberpg.com/Community/index.html

HOT LIST OF SCHOOLS ONLINE
http://www.edu-cyberpg.com/Schools/default.asp

EDUCATION VENDOR DIRECTORY