[ncolug] Re: good meeting ; refining bylaws

  • From: MrKnisely <mrknisely@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ncolug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 06 Nov 2005 00:01:58 -0500

larry wrote:

nor thern wrote:

propose vote on removal of the section 9 bylaw at next

"9 PARLIAMENTARY AUTHORITY

This is definitely worth discussing.

By the way, for those who did not attend, we accepted the minimally-altered by-laws last night. I will post them on our web in a few minutes. A good meeting, lots of folks, including first-timer Charlie, who was preached to heavily about distributions. Mike gave a great presentation on controlling LCD displays within Linux.

Anyway, Mr. Thern, what I am hearing is that you are saying that we should not follow Robert's Rules of Order?

I can understand folks feeling that way. I have watched the arguments in meetings hundreds of times, as people try to discuss things without shouting each other down, interspersed with others crying out various points of RRO that may or may not apply... eventually, they are arguing about arguing.

Personally, I am 100% convinced that following parliamentary procedure works. I have seen it in action over 14 years of meetings at another hobbyist organization. It definitely can help, when properly used. However,

There are 2 major problems here:

1.) It only works if the procedure is understood, to a reasonable extent, by all members present
2.) If we do not have a Parliamentarian, we don't stand much chance of actually doing this

For those who do not know, there is such a thing as actually being certified as a Parliamentarian. I am vague on the procedure, but I will leave it to others to research it if necessary - should be easy to find.

This is, again, one of those items that allows expansion for the future - and I am personally not concerned if it is in there and not followed. With that said,

1.) Are there any registered Parliamentarians already in the group?
2.) Would anyone like to become one?
3.) We can certainly take a vote to remove the offending clause next month.

--
"Strong and bitter words indicate a weak cause."

                                              Victor Hugo (1802-1885)

Be sure to visit our web at www.ncolug.org

I am willing to research this topic. I'm also familiar with the parliamentary process and rules; though, I couldn't say that I am well versed by any stretch.

I do not desire to be come "registered" though for the sake of the group I'm willing to.

Mike K.
Be sure to visit our web at www.ncolug.org