[ncolug] Re: Thawte personal E-mail certificates

  • From: Bryan Savage <theOnlyLinuxGuy@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ncolug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2005 18:56:24 -0500

larry wrote:

> Bryan Savage wrote:
>
>> Thawte offeres free personal email certificates.
>

> I have been watching people do this for many years, but I can't come
> up with a reason to use it - can you give an example of a circumstance
> where you needed to prove you were who you said you were?

The purpose of signing is twofold 1) prove who you are and 2) ensure
that the content was delivered unaltered.

I don't routinely sign my email but I can see how this might be useful
in the business world.

More important to me is the ability to encrypt.  This has very real
use.  For example (the reason I started this thread), I set up a shell
account for Mike B and didn't want to email the password to him in plain
text.  He created a PGP/GPG key pair and sent a signed email to me.
With his public key, I can now send him an email encrypted with his
public key that can only be decrypted with his private key.

The only reason I brought up Thawte specifically is because personal
certificates seem to be easier to use than GPG.

Bryan

All functions of our list can be controlled through the web by logging in
at //www.freelists.org/cgi-bin/lsg2.cgi

You can also unsubscribe by sending email to
ncolug-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with 'unsubscribe' in the Subject field