[ncolug] Re: Thawte personal E-mail certificates

  • From: Bryan Savage <theOnlyLinuxGuy@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ncolug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2005 14:15:12 -0500

David Fierbaugh wrote:

>On Wednesday 30 November 2005 08:12, Bryan Savage wrote:
>

>>Thawte offeres free personal email certificates.
>>http://www.thawte.com/secure-email/personal-email-certificates/index.html
>>

>What advantages would this have over PGP/GPG signing and encryption?

Like most things, I'm sure it's a matter of preference.  For me, these
are the advantages:

It's easier to setup.  From Thunderbird I click on my account settings,
click security, and import my certificate.  Done. With GPG I had to
install GnuPG, and then enigmail and then import my keys.

It's easier to communicate with others.  If I get an email with a
certificate, Thunderbird automatically check thawte for the key.  With
GPG, the sending user has to send me their keyserver address and I have
to go out and download their public key to verify their digital signature.

More mainstream:  How many of your Windows-using
friends/family/coworkers will install this stuff (assuming you can
convince them of the need for signing/encrypting) ?  The certificate
method "just works" with Thunderbird, Outlook, OE, and probably any
other mainstream client.

Bryan

All functions of our list can be controlled through the web by logging in
at //www.freelists.org/cgi-bin/lsg2.cgi

You can also unsubscribe by sending email to
ncolug-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with 'unsubscribe' in the Subject field