[ncolug] Re: SSDs have a 'bleak' future, researchers say

  • From: "DiGioia, Larry" <larry.digioia@xxxxxx>
  • To: "ncolug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <ncolug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2012 16:48:25 +0000

I won't dispute what Mike says    : )

-----Original Message-----
From: ncolug-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:ncolug-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On
Behalf Of Mike
Sent: Friday, February 17, 2012 11:46 AM
To: ncolug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [ncolug] Re: SSDs have a 'bleak' future, researchers say

On 02/17/12 08:59, DiGioia, Larry wrote:
> I have been using an SSD on my main linux machine for 3 years now. I
> have them in other desktops and laptops as well, never had an issue,
> as long as I follow certain guidelines when building the machine -
>
> 1.) make sure the controller (chipset) is up to it
> 2.) update the firmware
> 3.) make sure the machine is set to use AHCI - see
> http://forum.crucial.com/t5/Solid-State-Drives-SSD/Why-do-i-need-AHCI-
> with-a-SSD-Drive-Guide-Here-Crucial-AHCI-vs/td-p/57078
>
> My opinion is that I will scrap the computer before I reach end-of-life on
> writes. I wouldn't put one in a server yet though.

I won't dispute what Larry says about the SSD here.  He surely has more
experience with it that I.  I would point out that his end of life for a
machine is probably much sooner that many of us.  This message is coming from a
machine upgrades with parts I bought from him many, many moons ago.  It is soon
to retire as my main use machine though.

Mike

Subject field.

Subject field.