[ncolug] Re: SSDs have a 'bleak' future, researchers say

  • From: Jim Willeke <jim@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "ncolug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <ncolug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2012 12:15:21 -0500

I have several people using MacBook Airs that are over a year old with no
issues.

On Friday, February 17, 2012, DiGioia, Larry <larry.digioia@xxxxxx> wrote:
> I won't dispute what Mike says    : )

Behalf Of Mike
> Sent: Friday, February 17, 2012 11:46 AM
> To: ncolug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Subject: [ncolug] Re: SSDs have a 'bleak' future, researchers say
>
> On 02/17/12 08:59, DiGioia, Larry wrote:
>> I have been using an SSD on my main linux machine for 3 years now. I
>> have them in other desktops and laptops as well, never had an issue,
>> as long as I follow certain guidelines when building the machine -
>>
>> 1.) make sure the controller (chipset) is up to it
>> 2.) update the firmware
>> 3.) make sure the machine is set to use AHCI - see
>> http://forum.crucial.com/t5/Solid-State-Drives-SSD/Why-do-i-need-AHCI-
>> with-a-SSD-Drive-Guide-Here-Crucial-AHCI-vs/td-p/57078
>>
>> My opinion is that I will scrap the computer before I reach end-of-life
on writes. I wouldn't put one in a server yet though.

> I won't dispute what Larry says about the SSD here.  He surely has more
experience with it that I.  I would point out that his end of life for a
machine is probably much sooner that many of us.  This message is coming
from a machine upgrades with parts I bought from him many, many moons ago.
 It is soon to retire as my main use machine though.

> Mike

the Subject field.

the Subject field.

-jim