[ncolug] Re: Robert's Rootkit

  • From: David Fierbaugh <david@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ncolug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 6 Nov 2005 09:41:54 -0500

On Sunday 06 November 2005 08:43, larry wrote:
> Anyway, I wanted to relate an experience I had at a hobbyist group
> meeting recently. I gave a presentation at a ham radio club  comprised
> of about 20 people. They follow RRO and start their meeting with "the
> reading of the minutes," "vote to accept the minutes," "treasurer's
> report," "vote to accept the treasurer's report," etc. This took a full
> 45 minutes, and this is without any discussions or disagreements on
> anything.

There is another option that might make more sense.

I know that some LUGS (especially larger ones) often elect officers of some
type. They can meet quarterly and at specially called meetings. Doing the
"business" of the LUG at those special meetings could keep the informal
meetings running smoothly, and even improve on them since by-laws, etc
wouldn't be discussed there, freeing up time for more discussion.

As to how long it takes to do a meeting in a parliamentary fashion, yes, it
can take longer. Usually this indicates a few things though:

The group can usually all read (if not, discreet arrangements can be made).
Reports should be printed out, (usually no more than single page, one sided
[obviously there's exceptions to this]). If all the reports are on a table
where people can pick them up as they walk in, then when the meeting starts,
the reporters can hit the highlights and everyone should know the rest (if
they care to.)

The minutes might be WAY to detailed, and not available for review prior to
meeting. Minutes don't have to be a word for word run down of the last
meeting. They don't even have to cover all points of discussion on a topic.
For example, a 15 minute discussion on something can be sumed up as
"Discussion about OPTION A vs OPTION B. Also metioned were OPTIONS C and D"
If whomever is taking minutes (this job can rotate) either does them on a
laptop, or types them in and then emails them after the meeting, then at the
next meeting, review/accepting the minutes should only take a 2-3 minutes (or
less).

The advantage of parliamentary procedure (when done right) is that it
organizes a meeting (somewhat), usually speeds them up, makes them more
effective, etc.

I've sat through many meetings that followed Robert's Rules of Order. Even if
the organization wasn't happy about it at first, in the long run it has
always worked out for the better.
Be sure to visit our web at www.ncolug.org