[ncolug] Re: Robert's Rootkit

  • From: larry <larry@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ncolug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Jim Sutherin <jasuther@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 06 Nov 2005 08:43:01 -0500

nor thern wrote:

Roberts Rules would allow remote exploit of our group.

I was going to ask you to explain that. On second thought, never mind.

Anyway, I wanted to relate an experience I had at a hobbyist group meeting recently. I gave a presentation at a ham radio club comprised of about 20 people. They follow RRO and start their meeting with "the reading of the minutes," "vote to accept the minutes," "treasurer's report," "vote to accept the treasurer's report," etc. This took a full 45 minutes, and this is without any discussions or disagreements on anything.

That is what I don't want to see. Some of our member's time is very valuable indeed. I think we all enjoy the "informality" that we presently have. I don't want to adopt anything that makes us lose that, so as we become more structured, let us all keep in mind that "structure" does not necessarily mean "endless reports, votes and discussions."

-- "Strong and bitter words indicate a weak cause."

                                              Victor Hugo (1802-1885)

Be sure to visit our web at www.ncolug.org