[nanomsg] Re: The name service for nanomsg

  • From: Paul Colomiets <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: nanomsg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 6 Sep 2013 00:37:13 +0300

Hi Dirkjan,

On Fri, Sep 6, 2013 at 12:10 AM, Dirkjan Ochtman <dirkjan@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 5, 2013 at 5:57 PM, Paul Colomiets <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Thoughts?
>
> I forget, why can't we just use DNS for this again?

IIRC the main reasons discussed on IRC today are:

1. If you have a topology  like A -> B-C -> D, where B-C is a device,
how would you distinguish between addresses for A and C?

2. How would DNS work for inproc sockets?

3. How would you return protocol to use for connections? (i mean tcp,
ipc, inproc) How would you encode IPC addresses at all?

The reference implementation of the service that turns name service
requests into DNS queries may be written however. It will work for
some use cases well enough. And the pluggable interface will serve
much wider number of use cases.

--
Paul