[nama] Re: What about this display?

  • From: Joel Roth <joelz@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: nama@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 3 Jan 2016 13:07:04 -1000

On Sun, Jan 03, 2016 at 02:09:17PM +0100, Ffanci Silvain wrote:

Hey hey Joel,
No. Name Status Source Destination Vol Pan
1 Master play->MON -- 1/2 0 50
2 Mixdown OFF -- -- -- --
3 sax play->OFF null Main 0 50
This does look better than the old one, since the arrow has a general
meaning: implication.

Do you have the same information displayed in the GUI? Is the GI still
maintained? If so, what do you do there? Perhaps there's an even clearer way
of presenting these states to the user in the long run?

Hey Ffanci,

I didn't like the arrow, tried "play but is OFF", then went
back to column presentation. This time we only show the setting
when it differs from the status.

No. Name Requested Status Source Destination Vol Pan
1 Master MON Main bus 1/2 0 50
2 Mixdown PLAY OFF -- -- -- --
3 sax PLAY sax_1.wav Main 0 50

btw, I added a couple characters length for the source
display, which you said could be long.

Any other ideas?

I, for one, can be happy with this. The nearest alternative
is to always display the setting requested, but I think it
is better to have something stands out when things are weird
(or at least complex).

For the time being you get my definite vote of confidence in this
representation. Thyinking about it, it really turns out to be a difficult bit
of information to display in a very compressed way.

Thank you for being on your toes! It's good to know, that you can still let
go of old concepts and reconsider everything, that's there!

Ta-ta
----
Ffanci
* Homepage: https://freeshell.de/~silvain