[nama] Re: FX Editor

  • From: "S. Massy" <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: nama@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2011 00:17:01 -0500

Hello, Namites,

Sorry for the delayed response.

On Fri, Jan 21, 2011 at 08:46:50PM -1000, Joel Roth wrote:
[...]
> Displaying a track/effect/parameter at a constant point on
> the screen sounds like it would be great for a braille
> display: it seems like life would be easier if you could
> always expect to find things in the same place, like
> guitar strings, piano keys, or (to some extent) keyboard
> switches.
Top and bottom of screen are great places to put bits of information,
because there are "shortcuts" to take the "display window" there. Also,
you probably should know that, in general, the display tracks the
cursor, so the all-time best place to put information is the
prompt-line, and maybe the line just above.

> One way to do that without curses would be to clear the
> screen and display that stuff at the *top*.
> Or if we need it at the bottom, Nama already queries the
> number of screen lines, so could manage that by
> some advanced subtraction.
But, right now, doesn't Nama just print to stdout and then use readline
for command acquisition? How would you maintain a static line on
top/bottom while keeping the output flowing?

> I mean, to tell your personally, I had one look at all
> the curses functions and turned green! It is a whole
> huge thing!! (I guess the correct jargon is "API").
Yeah, curses has a big subset of functions, even for the perl binding,
but, from what I remember from experiments several years ago, the basics
aren't too complicated, except, of course, it requires some screen
management.

This said, I've been increasingly wondering whether we need curses at
all (see my reply to your next e-mail).

> > >   As to move_effects, I thik the syntax should be something like:
> > > move_effects (mvfx) BH C
>
> So in this syntax
>
> move_effect BH C
>
> would mean 'move effect BH after C'
>
> move_effect BH
>
> *could* mean 'move effect BH to the beginning.
Sounds good.

> As far as implementation, Nama tracks already have an
> effects list. It would be trivial to reorder the list,
> and almost as easy to remove and reapply the effects
> in the new order.
>
> So that would be a nice project to feel "I am Grandmaster
> Namite, leader of the Namites to the Promised FLAC."
*chuckle*

> The MIDI stuff will also be fun to get a handle on.
> I think we decided the first step would be
> to capture realtime MIDI controller inputs
> for modulating effect parameters.
>
> Of course it will be better to talk about it in a
> separate thread, but as long as we are in a "think big"
> mode, I might as well bring it up.
Very intriguing. Some form of transport control could be great too while
we're at it.
oCheers,
S.M.