[nama] Re: FX Editor

Hi all!

After a satisfying day of working outside with a friend and
the aid of gasoline-powered small engines, ending with
barbeque dinner, I find a bubbling cauldron of soup
that I have yet to contribute either a chicken of
appropriate spices.

I hope no one will be offended if my first response
doesn't touch on all contributors or posts.

After all, I'm a limited person, not a grand
Namite/Marmite(r) etc.  although I do have a little more
familiarity with the (diabolically twisted?) codebase than
most.

S. Massy wrote:

> I think a good rule of thumb is that operations which need to be
> performed quickly while mixing, such as modifying numeric parameters and
> dropping marks, are convenient to have as keystrokes, and almost
> everything else, at least IMHO, like setting up tracks, busses and
> chains, adding effects, etc. is best left to a command interface.

Sounds like a good starting point!

Displaying a track/effect/parameter at a constant point on
the screen sounds like it would be great for a braille
display: it seems like life would be easier if you could
always expect to find things in the same place, like
guitar strings, piano keys, or (to some extent) keyboard
switches.

One way to do that without curses would be to clear the
screen and display that stuff at the *top*.
Or if we need it at the bottom, Nama already queries the
number of screen lines, so could manage that by
some advanced subtraction.

I mean, to tell your personally, I had one look at all
the curses functions and turned green! It is a whole
huge thing!! (I guess the correct jargon is "API").

On Fri, Jan 21, 2011 at 06:16:31PM -0500, S. Massy wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 21, 2011 at 11:03:50PM +0100, Julien Claassen wrote:
> > Hello Massy!
> >   Why not just go and have the ESC-mode then? It isn't too far from
> > the FX editor to the ESC mode. Basically your suggestions are good
> Well, I tried to keep the suggested design as simple as possible. As I
> see it, an ESC mode would require a rethink of some of Nama's
> design assumptions, while a simple FX Editor would keep the "visual"
> aspect fairly compartmented, where invoking the editor requires:
> - Initialise ncurses
> - clear screen/print relevant information
> - Wait for keypress events and act accordingly
> - catch exit/clear screen
> - deinitialise curses
> - back to read-line

Filed away for implementation time (hopefully by someone
experienced with curses :)

> >   As to move_effects, I thik the syntax should be something like:
> > move_effects (mvfx) BH C

So in this syntax

move_effect BH C

would mean 'move effect BH after C'

move_effect BH

*could* mean 'move effect BH to the beginning.

As far as implementation, Nama tracks already have an
effects list. It would be trivial to reorder the list,
and almost as easy to remove and reapply the effects
in the new order.

So that would be a nice project to feel "I am Grandmaster
Namite, leader of the Namites to the Promised FLAC."

The MIDI stuff will also be fun to get a handle on.
I think we decided the first step would be
to capture realtime MIDI controller inputs
for modulating effect parameters.

Of course it will be better to talk about it in a
separate thread, but as long as we are in a "think big"
mode, I might as well bring it up.

Cheers and secret Namite handshakes to all...

Joel

--
Joel Roth