[muglo] Re: scrubbing a hard drive

  • From: Eric Dunbar <eric.dunbar@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2005 20:31:43 -0500

If you're *really* worried about the security of your data, keep or
destroy the HD!

So-called scrubbers can erase data, but a really dilligent person can
still recover data if they try hard enough. The only sure-fire way is
to destroy the hard drive physically (and, even then, enough money and
time will permit a partial recovery of some data).

That said, a scrubber can do a job that is sufficient for 99% of users
out there, and, there's a simpler way of doing this.

If you're truly paranoid:

OS X, put the most sensitive documents in the trash and select "Secure
Empty Trash".

OS 9, check on www.versiontracker.com for an OS 9 app that will
"secure erase" files.

If you just want 99% security, boot your installer CD (whether OS 9 or
OS X) and intialize the HD using the write zeros to disk option. This
will prevent Norton from recovering the disk.

Eric.