[muglo] Re: installation woes ...

  • From: "Eric D." <hideme666@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2001 14:47:03 -0500

on 17/12/01 19:51, Payton Cannon at ngagpa@xxxxxxx wrote:

> Now, on attempting to install the OS 9.2.1 updater over my squeaky
> clean install of 9.2 w/ absolutely no third party add on in addition
> to what is in the installer, I repeatedly get the impasse of a
> dialogue box saying, "This cannot be installed over existing system;
> choose a different destination disc or perform a clean install." Yet
> this is an updater and cannot be installed over a reformatted HD -
> believe me I tried that too! It's direct from the apple site and
> authentic.
>
> Needless to say, I haven't gotten to the OS 9.2.2 updater, much less OS X.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> P.S. I did previously try an install of OS X w/my current system and
> the results were someless than satisfactory - 9.2.1 and now 9.2.2 are
> the ideal and recommended classic modes.

You need 9.2.1 installed to upgrade to 9.2.2.

<http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=75186> (for 9.2.2)
<http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=120030> (for 9.2.1)

The upgrade path is:
9.0 through 9.0.4 -> 9.1 -> 9.2.1 -> 9.2.2

Apple says 9.2.1 can be installed over 9.2 (9.2.0?)

BTW If you're running OS X I *strongly* recommend 9.2.2. It is by far the
fastest, most stable and bug free Classic engine out there! Plus, OS 9.2.2
fixed my disappearing windows problem... sometimes Classic windows wouldn't
display when I started Classic (I'd have to restart).

If you're running OS 9, versions 9.0.0-9.0.3 and 9.2.0 are to be avoided
like the plague! If you're running 9.0 upgrade to at least 9.0.4 (9.1 broke
some software), if not 9.1 or 9.2.2 (I never ran 9.1 on its own except as
required by OS X 10.0.x... I preferred 9.0.4 to 9.1 if it was running on its
own) [now I'm running 9.2.2... but I spend 95% of my time in OS X].

L8r, Eric.

going to <//www.freelists.org/archives/muglo>

<paulthomas@xxxxxxx>