[muglo] hobby hackers

  • From: doug rogers <dougsamu@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Online MUGLO <muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2005 23:35:45 -0500

The saga of the Wallstreet continues. Thank god there are pros with the
time, resources and patience for these kinds of things!

!Thanks! to Tee for the loan of the Ram and the drive. Haven't pinned
down exactly what did it, but the Wallstreet boots, and runs. Basically
it isn't the same one with the problems at all; the only thing I
suspect remaining from the original is the plastic body. :-)

Naively I did not record whether I swapped out or replaced back in, the
original troublesome (?) motherboard or Powercard. Silly me. I need to,
now, eventually swap the suspect parts in and out again to see if they
work. With the RAM and drive supplied by Tee, the system boots and
runs, though with an erratic hanging problem I suspect is due to faulty
RAM.

With Tee's 256 chip recognized by the system, along with the previous
64 meg chip, I occasionally get a RAM warning at startup, which I think
has gone away by reseating the chips, though Appearance,  File Sharing,
System Profiler hang the system, when the full 320 megs is recognized
though not when just the 64 meg only shows up as built in RAM.

Neither of the Powerbooks screens work well. One shows darkly with a
'burned-in' central part, and the other shows a scrambled screen - a
large cross-like grid or vertical lines of various colours. The battery
doesn't show up when it's in a bay. I have only one known functioning
powercord. (Has the problem been a shorted out powercord all along?)
Might have to wait for, and at least check up on the Recall replacement
I applied for months ago from Apple.

Thinking back to the original MacOutpost quote on the repair over a
year ago, I will have spent in dribs  and drabs the same amount. I can
likely recoup some of the expense by selling the spare  -good- parts
again. Proper repair technique... tracking what part was what, for
instance, would have put me a bit ahead here, rather than now having to
swap the parts in and out again.

  What do I plan to do with the computer now? I can run a monitor off of
it, other keyboards and a mouse, keep it for repair parts for the
Wallstreet used day to day at school by my son, or use it in a
frankenstein fashion with all the other parts as a replacement for the
Performa.

  There is a crack in everything. That's how the light gets in.
__________<http://home.golden.net/~samu>__________