[muglo] Re: choice

  • From: Theresa Roth <theresaroth@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 14 Dec 2008 08:45:18 -0500

Jim,

That's not an easy question to answer for someone who hasn't used an
iPhone. I was impressed though with the features and capabilities when
several MUGLO members sat on a panel at a MUGLO meeting. I seriously
wanted t go out and buy one that night.

I have a Blackberry Pearl an am very happy with the phone and it's
capabilities. For my business use, I require email, camera and
contacts. For personal use, I also use text extensively for
communicating with my teenagers and adult daughters.

However, recently, I started having troubles with the Blackberry and am
miffed they keep getting new customers by selling new phones while not
properly taking care of the ones they have. Here is the story;

Last Christmas, I worked on a Telus project and was given a free
Blackberry Pearl through Telus which my adult daughter now uses. They
are having some glitches with it but it still works. Telus has offered
to replace it.

I also upgraded with Bell and got one free with a three year contract.
By July, I was experiencing glitches and in September, I asked for a
replacement.  I finally got it 9 weeks later on Nov. 23!  I gets
better. That day, there was a thirty-minute wait as they were
understaffed. The associate programmed in the wrong phone number so it
was 2 days before I could use the phone. A day later, it shut down
overnight and wouldn't start until morning even though I took out the
battery several times in an attempt to reboot. I went to the Bell store
and they played with the network setting [which, in my mind, has
nothing to do with turning on the phone]. That night, it shut of again
and wouldn't re-boot. The next evening, it shut down and hasn't
rebooted since then. I went back to request a replacement for the crap
replacement phone they gave me and now I am told it will be a 9-10 week
wait. Apparently, so many Blackberry Pearls are being returned
defective for replacement, they cannot keep up with the demand. The
policy for replacement phones provides for "refurbished" phones so this
complicates the issue even more. This problem is with RIM, not with the
provider.

Not knowing the track recored yet for iPhones, I cannot tell you what
will happen with them.

Theresa

On Dec 14, 2008, at 12:59 AM, jim taylor wrote:

Given your choice, what would you buy. An iPhone or a Blackberry?
Mostly for biz purposes. jim