[muglo] Re: a good meeting

  • From: Doug Bale <dougbale@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 24 Jun 2007 12:01:16 -0400 (EDT)

Oh boy!

You can re-install and update your operating system, Karl, but do you
want to have to re-install and update every other program you use? And
you can't re-install and update all the material you've created
yourself with those programs -- the databases you've produced, the
photos you've taken, the financial data you've stored, the
letters/journals/bestsellers you've written. If that stuff goes, it's
gone forever, unless you've stashed a copy somewhere.

A power bar will likely save you in case of a lightning strike anywhere
but directly overhead, but, every now and then, we do get lightning
strikes that close. Fires do sometimes occur in the best-protected
households. And computer files do get corrupted; if the wrong one goes
wonky, it can leave your whole hard drive inaccessible.

I forget who said it first, but it's true enough to be an adage for all
of us: There are only two kinds of computer users, those who've had
irrecoverable crashes and those who haven't had them YET.

;-)

Doug Bale
dougbale@xxxxxxxxxx