[muglo] Re: Partitioning 80 GB drive for Tiger

  • From: Dean Danis <dean_danis@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2009 02:09:22 -0500

> 1.  Does each partition have to have a copy of Tiger on it in order
> to function?

Each partition with an OS will be bootable and could be accessed via the system
prefs -> startup disk.

> 2.  As I understand it, I can use a program like SuperDuper or Carbon
> Copy Cloner to make a bootable clone on one partition.  This clone
> can then be used if my main partition fails.  As I also understand
> it, I should not store anything else on the bootable clone because it
> may cause the backup software not to work properly.  Do you agree
> with these points?

If a partition failed it could probably be repaired using Diskwarrior. If your
drive fails, you will lose all partitions. It would be better to add a second
drive to the computer and use CCC to clone your boot drive to that drive. The
G4 should have a spare IDE plug for a second drive and can sit on top of the
main drive. Your G4 can only support a drive of 128GB so don't put anything
bigger than that in there. An 80Gb Drive would cost ~$50, but make sure ou can
fit it in there first.

http://www.cuttingedgecomputers.ca/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id4&cat=+%3C160gb

If you use an external drive go with a Firewire. The USB is version 1 and very
slow on that computer.

> 3.  I read somewhere it's a good idea to have three partitions, but I
> don't know why.  Can anyone enlighten me as to what the third
> partition would be used for?

I used to set up three partitions when setting up 10.2 - 10.3 systems. I would
use a small third partition as a swap file area for adobe Photoshop. These days
I just use 1 large partition, it's easier to deal with.

I hope that helps.

Dean Danis
519-494-8639
90 Caprice Cr.