[muglo] Re: Partitioning 80 GB drive for Tiger

  • From: Wayne Dobson <pwdobson@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 10 Jan 2009 17:16:56 -0500

I've never used a partition. For sure, don't back up on another
partition. When the drive fails, it takes all partitions down the
toilet together. Ideally, your backup should be in another Province, a
separate internal drive, or an external drive. External drives are
cheap these days and well worth the peace of mind. That drive can be
made bootable and synced with the main drive. In the event of a
failure, swap the external backup and be up and running in minutes.
On Jan 10, 2009, at 5:07 PM, Leith Peterson wrote:

> I am planning to move from Panther to Tiger on my G4 Tower (AGP
> Graphics) and am thinking it would be a good idea to partition the 80
> GB drive at the same time.  Questions:
>
> 1.  Does each partition have to have a copy of Tiger on it in order
> to function?
>
> 2.  As I understand it, I can use a program like SuperDuper or Carbon
> Copy Cloner to make a bootable clone on one partition.  This clone
> can then be used if my main partition fails.  As I also understand
> it, I should not store anything else on the bootable clone because it
> may cause the backup software not to work properly.  Do you agree
> with these points?
>
> 3.  I read somewhere it's a good idea to have three partitions, but I
> don't know why.  Can anyone enlighten me as to what the third
> partition would be used for?
>
> Please advise.  Thanks.
>
> Leith
> ---