[muglo] Re: Old operating systems

  • From: Eric Dunbar <eric.dunbar@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 13 Mar 2005 21:56:15 -0500

On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 21:40:37 -0500, r weaver <weaverrw@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I had heard that OS 7.5.x and earlier was available free, maybe 7.6. I don't
> have an official answer, though.
>
> on 3/13/05 9:30 PM, Biti at Biti@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
>
> > None that I know of. All Mac OS's, no matter how old, are proprietary
> > and not free.

You smart arse :). The vast majority of people understand free to mean
free as in no cost, not free as in modifiable and viewable code.

But, more seriously, OS 7.5.X and SOME earlier versions are available
for free from Apple's web site. There are some versions of the OS (7.1
for e.g.) which are not available (I hypothesise that's because Apple
doesn't necessarily have the necessary rights to some of the
technologies in those versions).

If you're interested in the "free" (as in open source software)
software OSes, check out YellowDogLinux and Ubuntu. YDL 3.0.1 works
quite nicely with older hardware and offers relatively recent software
(you can run Mozilla 1.7 or FireFox 1.0 on a PowerMac 7600/132 if you
desire).

Eric.