[muglo] Re: Old operating systems

  • From: Mary <iMary@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2005 01:09:54 -0500

At 8:56 PM -0500 3/13/05, r weaver wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I was asked by a non-profit group (that refurbishes old computers for
>schools) which Mac operating systems were available without charge,
>and said that I would find out. Anyone know?

Take a look here:
http://www.info.apple.com/support/oldersoftwarelist.html

AFAIK, System 7.5.3 is the last OS available free from Apple. It
would probably be best to try to find a private source of free or
very low-cost 8.x discs. 8.5 and 8.6 discs are only worth about
$10-$12.00 these days, and some users offer them for only the cost of
postage.

  Mary