[muglo] Re: Constitution Membership

  • From: Paul Thomas <paul_thomas@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 6 Mar 2009 11:33:17 -0500

I have read through the messages on this subject of Quorum.

As the originator of MUGLO - On-line, if my memory serves me properly
this group was to be basically an on-line group without meetings
unless anyone saw fit to hold one; it is only just recently that we
started having regular meetings again so that the situation has
changed the interpretation of the Constitution and no doubt requires
a more major change.

However whilst it is an on-line group it was intended that motions
would always be placed on line for the membership to vote by email as
there were no meetings at which to vote.  That is why even the annual
meeting voting (if required) is to be done by email.

As to the question of a quorum, when I was maintaining the membership
list (FMP database), I cannot remember what percentage of the
membership constituted a quorum but certainly the membership that I
maintained had two parts: Active and Inactive - only the former group
could vote.  I forget now what was my criteria but it was something
like "Active members were those who had posted a message on the MUGLO
List within the last 6 months"  -  I am not sure about the actual
number of months but I think it was 6.  If one was Inactive and then
returned to posting again then I changed them back to Active.  This
seemed to work quite well and in fact the Active List was then posted
on the MGLO Web page.

Though this did involve a little work for the Register maintainer, it
was not too arduous using a FMP database...

Just some thoughts which might guide those involved with this thorny
problem - I am sure something based on these original concepts could
be used as a model...

Paul