[muglo] Re: AEBS or Time Capsule

  • From: Frank BIrch <fbirch@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2011 12:56:35 -0400

Excuse me for butting in but:-

Remember that Time Capsule is a single point of failure. The odds your
system would go down with the Time Capsule are not great but if it was a
massive power spike, that your surge protector could not handle, then you
are toast.

A storage vault with two physical drives, one to mirror the other and
removable (hot swap) is a good alternative but expensive ad probably not
recognized by Time Machine. It may work with some other backup program.

The backup program is an individual choice but, (my 2 cents) I feel a
network storage, with two physical drives, with mirror capability is
probably the least risky option. Remember the lower the risk, the higher the
cost.

Currently I use HP network storage, 2 500 Gb drives one mirroring the other
for my PCs.

Unfortunately OSX does not recognize the unit for backup. I use a 500 gb
LaCie for my MacBook, and a MYBook for the Imac.

Not the best solution, however I do copy my important files from the Imac
and Macbook manually to the storage unit. (the file formats are compatible).

Possibly a good topic for face-to-face discussion in the near future.

Regards

frank