[muglo] Re: Time Capsule

  • From: Mary Read <m.k.read@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2011 14:56:59 -0400

At last I have something that's on-topic! Although I'm afraid it's not
commentary -- it's another request for help. I'm hoping someone in the group
will be familiar with the Time Capsule/external drive glitch I'm experiencing,
or be able to point me in the right direction to resolution. I've already gone
through Apple Care for assistance, but the problem persists.

I've got two backup systems in place: a Western Digital 2TB USB drive using
Carbon Copy Clone for archiving only my working files, plus a second HD
(Seagate USB 2TB) that uses Time Machine to back up my whole system. Both HDs
are plugged directly into main USB ports on my iMac 27", since I understand
that a hub can make externals unhappy.

The CCC backup works very well, but the Seagate drive with Time Machine sends
me an error message at least once every hour saying:

 "The disk was not ejected properly. If possible, always eject a disk before
unplugging it or turning it off."

I check on my desktop and the icon for the HD is there, so it has not
unmounted. Time Machine completes its routine despite the warning -- although
not hourly as I've set its preferences, but here and there as it feels so
inclined. I take this to mean that sometimes it finds the external HD, and
sometimes does not. I can live with less frequent backups, but I am very keen
to get rid of that very pesky finder warning. It interrupts my work at the most
inopportune times.

I've reformatted the Seagate drive twice, just to see if that would help. Nada.
Any ideas?

Thank you,
Mary

On 2011-10-31, at 12:56 PM, Frank BIrch wrote:

> Excuse me for butting in but:-
>
> Remember that Time Capsule is a single point of failure. The odds your
> system would go down with the Time Capsule are not great but if it was a
> massive power spike, that your surge protector could not handle, then you
> are toast.

Mary Read
http://www.maryread.com