[mswindowsxp] WinXP is Plug-And-Play? NOT if it is USB!!!

  • From: Jim Betz <jimbetz@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: mswindowsxp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 09 Feb 2003 19:51:23 -0800

  All of a sudden my WinXP Pro just "forgot" about the install I
had done months ago for a Lexar USB Combo Digital Film reader.
In addition - it wouldn't let me re-install the device with it
plugged into the USB port.  A real pain in the butt because the
reader is plugged into the back of the machine and the machine is
buried between and behind some furniture and so it is a major
headache to unplug it.
  It seems it HAD to have the driver re-installed and the system
rebooted with the device NOT attached to the system in order for
the install of the software to complete correctly.  Then when I
plugged in the combo reader it came up and everything ran just
fine.
  And, of course, because I was "fishing" the USB connections
down back behind the furniture it had to "reinstall" all of
the other USB devices.

  So can anyone explain to me why a USB device install cares
which USB port it is plugged into?  I thought the "U" was for
"Universal" ... HAH!!!